Monday, May 13, 2013

Working with the spot tracker

Well today Dom and I took a short trip out to the end of Knik Goose Bay road. I was curious if we could ride a trail that I found last year that could get us down to waters edge. The road down to the water was two rutted up by big pickups and I didn't want to deal with the mud.

Also I was trying to use the spot by putting in the tank bag, well that didn't work, if you have to have a clear shot at the sky through a  window it will work,but if it's covered up by anything it won't be able to transmit to a satellite.

On the side of this page you'll see track us via spot when we take our trip to Prince of Wales Island you'll be able to see where we are on the trip in real time, should be fun. That was a trip me and Sharon did on mothers day to get some plants from Alaska Mill and Feed.

It was kind of neat, when Dom went down to Homer and Seward I put a post on ADV rider fo folks to keep an eye out for a guy driving a orange Ural. Someone came back and said the next day that he saw someone heading the other direction towards Cooper Landing. Well I checked his Spot and it showed him being in Seward and he was on his way back Wasilla, now this is all real time folks I saw him on my computer and then he called me from Subways asking me what type of sandwich I wanted

Any way we then tried to ride up Burma road  this is the road that I laid my bike down on, well its not really ready

We then grabbed a quick lunch at the Tug Bar I had a hot dog Dom had a burger and we headed home

When we got home I remembered that I had a holder for my spot unit that I had used while snowmachining
I realized before that the Spot needed a clear view in order to operate.

So I installed the mount on my rear luggage rack this way its not in the way and it has a clear view of the sky











No comments:

Post a Comment