Monday, August 4, 2014

DMC Sidecars and Mount Rainier


The next stop was going to be DMC Sidecars.

 In 2009 I purchased a brand new BMW1200 GS after watching, that great movie "Long Way Around" I thought, I would love to be able to travel that way. Which is probably a little ambitious for a guy that had just turned 66 years young. But I pressed forward and set the GS to be a full blown touring outfit. Asked Sharon if she wanted to cruise up to Hatcher Pass with me. The ride went well and I envisioned us out there touring all of North America. But Sharon quashed that vision by telling me she didn't enjoy the ride mainly because she couldn't see anything

 In the fall of 2010, I was still trying to figure out a way to get Sharon to go riding with me. And I was reading a lot about sidecars on the internet, I found that a lot of folks in Europe have put sidecars on just about every type of bike there is. I talked to a friend of mine who lives in Gulkana Alaska who had a sidecar that he would put on and off his KLR. And asked him what he thought about putting a sidecar on a GS. There are two companies in the US that actually manufacture sidecars. One on the east coast and the other on the west coast, and being in the Alaska I called DMC up and put my order in. They said they could ship it up and the deal was set.

Since installing the sidecar we've put on on about 12,000 miles together.




I never would have thought that Google Maps would have recognized the grocery outlet in Emunclaw Wa. but it does. As you can see from the map, the route to DMC sidecars cuts through a real rural area in Washington. I just put the address into my GPS and it took me to the front door 




Finally Sunshine


Me and Jay, The owner of DMC Sidecars

Shop Area

DMC's new Expedition Model Sidecar


Another view of the new model

This ice cream sidecar is attached to a motor scooter is going to California

This two place unit is going to South America




Next stop was Mount Rainier

We left Emunclaw and started our trip to the mountain, In the town of Buckley we stopped and got some gas and stretched my legs a bit. In talking to the woman in the station we found that Rainier actually had two visitor centers one on the north side, called Sunrise, and a higher one on the south side, called Paradise   




Loved riding thru the Cascades 



Kathy and Bruce our intrepid partners in this adventure

Rainier in the Background

Mt. St. Helens in the background




Sharon in the drivers seat


The Cascades are Beautiful





Moving on Guys follow along





























4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of Rainier. I don't think I've ever been to the visitor center. Usually by the time I got to Washington, I was either getting burned out from travelling or needed to hurry back to Alaska.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are two of them and we actually circumnavigated, the mountain great motorcycle roads. Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been meaning to ask, is there some setting on the camera you're using to perhaps sharpen the indoors pics? Or did you just forget to re-enable the flash? I've done that many times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really try not to use the flash that much, because I think it washes out the picture to much. Almost all of my pictures are taken with a I-Phone, I have a DSLR but find that without a bounce flash attachment, which is actually to bulky I would probably never take a picture. Additionally the pictures that I put in the blog have not been manipulated, They are just raw snapshots

    ReplyDelete