Sunday, March 27, 2016

Rest Of The Story Part 2



And then it was time to get back riding again, a couple of sidecarest friends of mine, one in Colorado and the other in Fairbanks (Dom and Richard) were supposed to be doing a Ural sponsored rally day. So I thought I would give it a go and take a short ride I ended up doing 89.7 mi which equates to 144.4 km .






It was great to really get back in the saddle, and all and all, it was a great day.




As most motorcyclist will agree I think, we all buy gear and gizmos that will improve our ride, make  us safer we think. But not everything works out. Before I put a sidecar on my bike, I bought some high tech weatherproof motorcycle boots. And since having the sidecar I changed my boots to something  a little lighter. So it was time to try to sell the boots that weren't doing any one any good.

 I posted the boots on Craigslist and a couple weeks before my ride up to Hatcher a fellow came by to look at the boots. He introduced himself as Eric Christensen who is a insurance broker that has his business in Palmer Alaska. He tried the boots on, but they were two large for him. While we were talking he noticed my sidecar rig that was parked in its portable garage. We talked a bit about it and then he went his way.

 I'm not sure exactly what day it was but on Monday or Tuesday I received a call from a fellow who said he was a friend of Eric Christensen and his name was Chris Canterbury. I recognized his name from a forum that I follow on ADV Rider, and I knew he made sidecars and in fact he even made a espresso unit for a sidecar he built.
He explained  the ride that he was coming up to Alaska to do and that he was bringing his wife Rebecca with him, as it was their anniversary. And he asked if I would let him use my outfit for this particular ride, as he would feel a lot more comfortable with a sidecar rig then riding two-up with his wife. I must have said OK because on Wednesday morning he gave me a call say he would be at my house in about an hour.

My wife Sharon asked me if this was going to be all right,  this was one of the few time during our marriage that she posed this type of question to me,  heck I bought the house we live in while she was in Chicago visiting her mom. And that turned out alright. But it did give me a start, so I wrote up a small agreement and made sure I had a copy of his drivers license.  


Unfortunately I wasn't even sure on how to spell Chris's last name, its Canterbury.
Anyway Chris and his wife show up along with about 8 other riders, and their time constraints took over, Chris signed the agreement and gave me a copy of his drivers license, I gave him the key and they all went on their adventure. I wish I would have been able to spend a little time with Chris and Rebecca. With that many folks it had to be like herding cats.

Continued

5 comments:

  1. Now I'm waiting for the rest of the story...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Weren't they making some sort of video?

      Delete
    2. Yes... I meant the rest of the story with Chris from BoxerMetal.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, though I'd explored the concept of motorcycle rentals and running a business to do that, the insurance requirement/caveats and costs quickly dashed that idea.

    My first thought was, Bob is taking a chance.

    I understand your thought process and admire your willingness to trust....after all, you and Sharon took me in for so many days that turned into weeks, having never met me before and for that I'll be forever grateful. It shows your wealth of trust in your fellow man.

    Still, it was my first thought.

    Since insurance follows the vehicle and not the driver, am sure your rig is covered if something happens.

    I look forward to your posting detailing the adventures of your rig while under Mr Canterberry's control.

    I am no lawyer nor do I ever aspire to be, and the agreement you and he signed is something concrete but I've no idea of any legal protection it would offer. You've basically taken a man at his word, something very rare these day in our litigious society.

    I've offered my R80 to visiting folks but usually I am riding with them as well.

    In the end though, it's your rig to do as you wish. Again, I admire your ability to trust.

    ReplyDelete